Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: You shady bastards.

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:03:36 -0400

Tim wrote:
Why would it be illegal if his former employer accessed his email using
this method. The information going to their network is considered their
property and they could do as they see fit.

This is a poor assumption.  See the Wiretap Act and the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act.  Of course these are just US laws, but it
seems this is the scenario we're discussing.

tim

Spare me and the list...

/ * SNIPPED * /
What about an employer's right to read e-mails as
they come in? As they hit the inbound server? ...
If the e-mail is not subject to the consent of
all parties, and one of the parties (either the
sender or recipient) lives in a jurisdiction
that mandates all party consent, then this could
be an unlawful interception under state law.
(Federal law requires only one party consent.)

http://www.securityfocus.com/print/columnists/412

*NOTE Federal Law*
/* END SNIP * /

Or search ... Nancy K. Garrity, et al. v. John Hancock Mutual Life Ins. Co

And no I won't bother with US v. Councilman

--
J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743