Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: You shady bastards.

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:55:58 +0300 (EEST)

A very good point.
The subject line doesn't always show anything related to personal e-mail message and does the person monitoring
messages know what is related to his/hers work?

I see adding the word PRIVATE as a part of subject line a good practice.

It's not so easy to accidentally post these e-mails to mailing lists etc.
Related to Maynor's case: If you are reading the e-mail account of former employer and you click a link included to
message with marked as private you really cross the line.

HDM made a good decision when using a file name maynor.tar.gz.

If you are testing issues like this use very rare file names and it is worth of testing Return Receipt too. And use a
complicated directory structure (not easy to guess) when generating the test files like maynor.tar.gz.

- Juha-Matti

rlogin () hush ai wrote:
The key is *personal* e-mail.  It's not unreasonable for any
company to assume their e-mail systems are used primarily for
business purposes. The e-mail doesn't indicate it's personal. It
doesn't say, "Your Ghonorrhea test results have come back!  Click
here for the results."  The e-mail has no contents other than a
link and doesn't indicate that the "Zero Day" promise was made
after this employee left the company. In fact, the subject "Zero
Day" is directly related to SecureWork's business and it's entirely
reasonable to expect a security company to investigate the
contents. I'm actually surprised someone actually monitors these
accounts and took the time to look into it!

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:28:26 -0400 security curmudgeon