Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Dailydave] iPhone Roadblock

From: "mOses[at]networksamurai" <trklisted () networksamurai org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:03:35 -0400

 From what I understand of the phone it is running a native version of
OS X. Which may mean to say its running the underlying BSD kernel of
'Darwin' with a modified Aqua (which is their impementation of XWindows)
on top. As with any type of blackbox testing you must go with the
'knowns' to find the 'unknowns' (yai!!). Learn what the points of
ingress are from the device it self, i.e. is safari still vulnerable and
maybe can be used as a gateway into the directory structure? Or can you
write code to use safari in that manner? If not then you must take a
closer look inside the phone. One thing is certain, at some point a
developer needed a way into the phone to do proper debugging, maybe not
a JTAG interface on this device but some type of 'shell'. I have seen
certain sites where people have taken apart the device and have started
to peer into it.

I do know that their no SDK for the device but it does have a fully
functional Safari browser which will allow for AJAX.... so quick start
coding ;0

matthew wollenweber wrote:
I'm one of the lucky (or possibly crazy) people that managed to get an
iPhone yesterday. If you're curious, I'm very happy with it so far.
I'm not an Apple nut that buys all things Apple, but after years of
"smartphones" that never seemed quite right, the iPhone really seems
to have hit the mark. My biggest worry was that it used Edge rather
than 3G. While at some points this is noticeable, the caching and
windowing mechanisms really make up for the difference. On the whole
it's the best smartphone experience I've had. But you can read all the
reviews in a more appropriate forum...

I'm really interested in hacking up my iPhone. Anything with a *nix OS
underneath is just too tempting to leave alone. Unfortunately Apple
threw a curve ball that's outside my skill set. The iPhone doesn't
mount as a harddrive. I couldn't find any options in iTunes and in
linux I only got:

Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: new full speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 15
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Product: iPhone
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: SerialNumber: XYZ123456789
Jun 30 21:25:42 lothlorien kernel: usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen
from 3 choices

USB device drivers aren't my thing. Anyone have any suggestions on how
to get the thing mounted or to go about figuring out how to do so?

Thanks for any help.

--
Matthew  Wollenweber
mwollenweber () gmail com <mailto:mwollenweber () gmail com> |