Full Disclosure mailing list archives

PC/Laptop microphones

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:26:37 -0500

I started this discussion elsewhere, but I feel that there is more
experience and concern here.   When I look at BIOS settings I see config
options to disable sound cards, USB, CDROM, INTs, etc., but what about
the PC or laptop microphone?  Does disabling the sound card remove the
availability of a built-in microphone? What if I want to play mp3s but
never have the need to use a microphone? Given recent info about the US
FBIs capabilities to remotely enable mobile phone microphones
(presumably via corporate cellular service providers), what prevents my
OS provider (or distribution) and ISP from working on a way to listen in
on my office or home conversations via the microphone or the built-in
speakers?  Thoughts?

-Jim P.