Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Major gcc 4.1.1 and up security issue

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:50:21 -0500

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:07:18 GMT, Marcin Owsiany said:

I also think that CPUs can detect internally when an overflow happens -
is there a way to use that feature in C somehow, in a portable way?
(Somehow I feel that the answer is that not all CPUs do that, so - no.)

The fact that some CPUs implement overflow detection in ways best described
as byzantine and sometimes merely flawed or lacking entirely is why C does
such hand-waving on the issue.  It's generally considered performance-crippling
to add inline code that does a "test condition/branch" pair after *every single*
opcode that might cause an overflow - so the C paradigm is to leave them out
and have the programmer code tests when actually needed.

You think it's bad *now*, where you have to force-feed a 2-billion-something
value in to cause an integer overflow, you obviously aren't old enough to have
programmed on 16-bit machines, where numbers around 32,000 were sufficient,
and even 'unsigned int' didn't suffice to let you sort 5-digit US postal ZIP
codes...

(And we won't mention the horrorshow that was floating point before IEEE-standard
became widely used...)