Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Remedy Action Request System 5.01.02 - UserEnumeration

From: "dj flotek" <djflotek () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:37:15 +0000

I regularly used to use Remedy in my previous duties. And okay, the
authentication process does output a message specifying whether the user
exists or not, and that is not a desirable aspect of any system.

I would like to say however, that Remedy was the most efficient system that
I was aware of during the time of providing support with multiple
systems+users. It has its problems, though I think it is fairly stable. And
largley stable compared with other 'supposed call logging systems'. Having
said that, I have not had any time to poke n probe it at all.

Seeing as most call logging systems for IT support are provided within a
LAN/Secure W/LAN environment, the issue seems to be not so URGENT/SERIOUS. I
mean, it is far easier to track instances of authentication login attempts
in such a scenario, given certain security enforcements and params. I would
think, others may disagree.

Yes, systems should not report whether a user does or does NOT exist, and
such systems as Remedy can be used within any environment. But you would
have to think that sys-admin's with any sense about them, would be aware to
such issues with 3rd party app's, and take action accordingly ...

| dot dot dot |