Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 0trace - traceroute on established connections

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:58:51 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Michal Zalewski wrote:

[ Of course, I might be wrong, but Google seems to agree with my
  assessment. A related use of this idea is 'firewalk' by Schiffman and
  Goldsmith, a tool to probe firewall ACLs; another utility called
  'tcptraceroute' by Michael C. Toren implements TCP SYN probes, but since
  the tool does not ride an existing connection, it is less likely to
  succeed (sometimes a handshake must be completed with the NAT device
  before any traffic is forwarded). ]

Erik Kamerling pointed off-the-list that everybody's favourite Dan
Kaminsky (www.doxpara.com) did some research on that subject, too; his
'paratrace' followed a similar principle, but relied on the party
correcting out-of-sync retransmissions. I found this approach to give poor
results in today's networks with overzealous commercial packet filters,
and hence, my tool implements an invasive approach where the current
session is trashed with in-sync data to solicit a high response rate.

Still, a credit is due!

Cheers,
/mz