Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Firefox: about:blank is phisher's best friend

From: "Michael Wojcik" <Michael.Wojcik () microfocus com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:52:17 -0800

From: Michal Zalewski [mailto:lcamtuf () dione ids pl]
Sent: Friday, 16 February, 2007 17:51
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Cc: full-disclosure () lists grok org uk

Firefox suffers from a design flaw that can be used to confuse casual
users and evoke a false sense of authority when visiting a fraudulent
website. ...

It is possible for a script to open 'about:blank' URL in a new tab;
this
tab will be opened with a blank address bar (the behavior is different
for
new windows, where the bar will be grayed out or hidden).

Nice work, as always.  A couple of points:

- Disabling Javascript for the attacking site prevents these attacks
from working, of course.  Firefox's NoScript extension, which implements
a scripting whitelist in a highly usable fashion, works nicely for this
sort of thing.  It will also prevent scripts from about:blank by
default, though that's of limited use here.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that "casual users" will have NoScript
installed, though I'm happy to see that it's one of the most popular
Firefox extensions.

- The third attack on your page ("Test it through about:blank proxy"),
which is designed to open a spoofed-UI window with a "normal" title bar,
produced a window with the title "about: - Google - Mozilla Firefox" on
my test system (once I had NoScript temporarily allow Javascript from
your site).  I don't know offhand why I got the "about: -" prefix;
perhaps because NoScript disables Javascript from "about:blank" by
default?

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus