Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: defacements for the installation of malcode

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:07:16 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeremy Epstein wrote:
There was also a really entertaining presentation from Patrick Petersen of
IronPort at RSA, in which he mentioned use of defaced web sites as proxy
forwarders for spammers.  According to the presentation, the spammers have a
fairly sophisticated toolkit that takes over the site and turns it into a
pharmacy (or whatever) redirect site.  A different goal from the Websense
presentation, but still a purpose other than simple defacement.

Indeed. I can post some screenshots of some of these tools if you are
interested in them.

Anon remailers, spam tools, etc. More and more spam is being sent using
web servers.

I am looking for someone to volunteer to create spam assasin rules based
on how these tools send mail.

You can find my writeup and link to article on this subject here:
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/815

        Gadi.

--Jeremy