Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Useful technique when performing XSS

From: Amit Klein <aksecurity () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:07:05 +0200

pdp (architect) wrote:
Amit,

:) This is not about who did it first.

Agreed. But it would be nice to receive the credit ;-)
BTW, your example is broken.
location.search does not include the fragment identifier.

Guilty as charged. I remember working directly with document.location
(which includes the hostname and path) when I investigated the issue,
then when I wrote my text I decided that a more elegant way would be
with the ".search" property, but I failed to verify that it actually
works. Thanks for pointing this out, and here's the formal errata:

    In
http://www.webappsec.org/lists/websecurity/archive/2005-10/msg00030.html,
the example should be:

    http://target.site/vulnscript.cgi?injectme=
<http://target.site/vulnscript.cgi?injectme=><script>eval(document.location.substr(...[fill
in the offset here]...))</script>#...JS payload here...

    Thanks to "pdp (architect)" for pointing this out.

Regardns,
-Amit

Cheers