Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Firefox + popup blocker + XMLHttpRequest + srand() = oops

From: Ben Bucksch <news () bucksch org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 03:28:36 +0100

No, we never patch bugs. Where would this lead us? Only commies taking over!

Tracked in bug 369390.

James Matthews wrote:
Do you think it will be patched??

On 2/5/07, *Michal Zalewski* <lcamtuf () dione ids pl
<mailto:lcamtuf () dione ids pl>> wrote:

    On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, pdp (architect) wrote:

    > You may as well use a QuickTime .mov/.qtl or a PDF document to
    open a
    > file:// link . I think it is easier.

    Sure. You can probably have a file:// link in Open Office / MS Office
    documents as well; but these all rely on external components, and
    as such,
    attacks could be shrugged off as a weakness in these apps (and there's
    some truth to this).

    Browser authors know better, and they disallow file:// URLs from the
    Internet ever since Javascript became so powerful; this case
    managed to
    slip through, so I thought it's a neat example, in conjunction with
    deterministic temporary files.

    /mz

--
http://www.goldwatches.com