Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compromise of Tor, anonymizing networks/utilities

From: Peter Besenbruch <prb () lava net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:24:19 -1000

On Saturday 08 December 2007 14:01:28 coderman wrote:

http://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ

Thanks for the links.

Having seen good crypto ruined by lousy implementations, I thought it
timely to remind ourselves of the lesson that implementation is at least
as important as the underlying theory.

this is actually a significant aspect for Tor, given that so many
applications and services which were never intended to be anonymized
are now getting sent over the network.  the implementation / side
channel issue is huge, and one reason i am such a proponent of the
transparent Tor proxy model where all network traffic is either sent
through Tor or dropped.

My goals are a little more modest. I browse using TOR, except for SSL links.
Essentially, I want everything I do encrypted, and it wouldn't hurt to
anonymize my IP address. I try not to abuse the TOR network with Bittorrent
downloads. Given the NSA monitoring of the Internet in real time, I would
just as soon make them work for my browsing habits.

it is simply too difficult for most people and/or most applications to
be configured to properly communicate through Tor as a proxy, compared
to simply routing traffic through a transparent Tor proxy.  there are
some caveats with this approach, and using multiple VM's is stronger
than host / anon router vm.  however, the drawbacks are minor compared
to the risks of vulnerable side channels with an explicit SOCKS or
application protocol layer proxy...

My only concern would be with the sturdiness of the TOR network itself. I hope
it expands to the point where all traffic could flow through it, but right
now, it get pretty bogged down from time to time.

(i should pimp JanusVM here, but you can also configure for *nix easily)

see http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TransparentProxy

The Linux instructions are suitably geeky, but straightforward. I tend to use
FoxyProxy on Firefox. Right now, I am checking out TorK. I hear its the
latest and greatest for configuring things easily on Linux. Unfortunately, I
have to compile it, and the list of requirements is a mile long. ;)

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky