Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: World's most powerful supercomputer goes online (fwd)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:45:01 -0400

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:30:42 EDT, Jay Sulzberger said:
  This may be the first time that a top 10 supercomputer has been controlled not
  by a government or megacorporation but by criminals.  The question remains,
  now that they have the world's most powerful supercomputer system at their
  disposal, what are they going to do with it?  And I wonder what the LINPACK
  rating for Storm is?

Its LINPACK rating is probably relatively poor, as LINPACK doesn't quite fit
well in the "embarassingly parallel" category - if you split it across a million
nodes, you *do* have some cross-node communication that needs to happen - and
preferably *fast* (we're talking the kind of fast where they buy Infiniband
or Myrinet gear because gigabit ethernet isn't fast enough)....