Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: A Botted Fortune 500 a Day

From: Troy <gimmespam () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:59:03 -0700

On 4/17/07, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

SI is, however, showing that at least some F500s
have lazy arse/stupid/otherwise incompetent admins and/or oversight
procedures and/or policies driving the whole mess of their IT systems,
and as a result the rest of us pay for their incompetence.

I've worked in a large corporate environment. I don't think it's a matter of
the admins being lazy or incompetent. It's more a matter of corporate
politics. The admins roll out a policy that locks down all workstations,
prohibits the installation of unapproved software, and prevents visiting
restricted web sites, and all is well. Then, Melllvar, the CEO's nephew in
accounting, complains that he can't play World of Star Trek. The CEO comes
down on the IT department, and the admins either lose their jobs or open a
few holes for Melllvar, who promptly installs a "crack" for his game,
unleashing a bot on the local LAN.

--
Troy