Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The Cyber war on Iran

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:55:56 -0500

--On April 4, 2007 11:06:24 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:38:40 CDT, Paul Schmehl said:
You seem to be living under the delusion that your actions can somehow
influence the extremists.  There's only two actions that will influence
the extremists in any way and that is to kill or imprison them.

Radical idea number 1:  You can always ignore them, or merely accord
them a level of concern related to their *actual* threat level.  Figure
out the number of deaths and economic damage per year due to cancer,
cardiovascular illness, tobacco, various communicable diseases, and
terrorism. React accordingly.  Hint: How many Americans have gotten
killed due to terrorist action, and how many have gotten killed since
then due to our *choosing* to get involved in two wars?  Who's a bigger
hazard to American lives - the terrorists or our own commander in chief?

I absolutely loathe this argument.  It goes something like this:
Hey, so a few people are dying - I don't know any of them, and I don't feel personally threatened, so screw them. I'm worried about cancer not IEDs. Besides, statistically, I have more chances of dying from cancer than I do from an IED. (Sorry about those folks in New York, London, Madrid, Berlin, Paris, Beirut, Bali, Darfur, Singapore, the Phillippines, Somalio, the Congo, and all the other places where jihadis have bombed and beheaded innocent people, but hey, that ain't in my back yard.)

Nice to know you care.

Radical idea number 2: This guy Ghandi managed to kick the British out
of India without killing or imprisoning anybody - people just sat down.
*LOTS* of people.  For those of you who aren't old enough to remember,
this dude named Martin Luther King Jr used the same tactic - and keep in
mind that some of the people opposing King would easily qualify as
"extremists".  Yes, it can take a long time, and you may have a few
martyrs of your own - but it's possible to win the conflict while
retaining the moral high ground.

Funny thing about the Brits - they're actually civilized. They don't go around cutting off children's heads and blowing up innocent women. So Ghandi's sit-down actually worked, because the Brits have a conscience.

When you've decided that killing them and imprisoning them are the *only*
two options, you've allowed them to frame the question and win the
debate, because you're guaranteeing them an endless supply of martyrs.
At that point, your only choice for stopping the flow of martyrs is
cutting off the supply via genocide.

Oh, bullshit. This isn't a debate. And there isn't an endless flow of martyrs. If you seriously think the vast majority of Muslims are only interested in martyring themselves for jihad, then you're a racist in the extreme. Most Muslims are just like you and me. They want to live a peaceable life, earn a decent living and take care of their family. But until the cost of being a jihadi is not worth the reward compared to living in peace, they will continue to slaughter people by the millions. And just because you don't give a shit about the people dying in Darfur or the Muslims being slaughtered every day in Iraq, doesn't mean everyone thinks that way.

Let's see if I can put this in terms you can understand.

A hoodlum is running around the neighborhood killing people. You think it's a good idea to negotiate with him but he's just interested in killing people. Since more people in the neighborhood have died in car crashes than the hoodlum has killed, you think he's not much of a threat. Unfortunately for Billy, tonight is his turn to be the hoodlum's next victim. But that's OK with you because, hey, statistically, it's just a blip on the radar. Eventually, if enough people die, he'll tire of his killing, and we'll be able to get him to reform his ways by convincing him there's a better way to live. If a hundred have to die before we get there, it's OK, because 200 will die in car accidents anyway.

Is that what you're advocating, Paul?  Now who's the extremist here?

Well, I'm not surprised you asked the question since you obviously have no clue. And your philosophy stinks.

You're a great security mind, Valdis, but your politics suck.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/