Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why Microsoft should make windows open source

From: Troy Cregger <tcregger () kennedyinfo com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:47:25 -0400

Interesting idea... but like you said, this is M$ we're talking about.

Morning Wood wrote:
M$ will never let us h4x0rz into their source (willingly) but I agree
with you James, the open source paradigm has regularly outpaced M$ and
many other large corporate software producers where it comes to
addressing bugs, security holes, and in many cases feature requests.

 Who knows... mabey they will get smart. IMHO M$ should, and could,
release an opensource OS.

 OpenWin , WindOS, call it whatever.
 Release a small basic win32 platform ( kernel / window / desktop /
explorer ), that could
leverage existing development tools, to allow the comunity to provide
extensible
applications that readily conform to existing, public API's. Provided with
runtime
libraries already available in todays applications, the underpinning would
support
existing win32 applications.

 Packaged with win32 / cygwin versions of POSIX tools, perl, php and python,
it
would be a very robust, basic OS.

( reactOS + freeDOS ? )

 Ooops... I forgot... this is Micro$oft I was talking about....

..what we need is another Linus Torvalds to build and release a "newcode"
win32 compliant
kernel / base that uses....

anyway,
M.W