Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Stealing Search Engine Queries with JavaScript

From: "Ian" <vern () riseup net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:51:49 -0500 (ACT)

Hi,
Possible uses:

-HMO's website could check if a visitor has been searching other sites about cancer, cancer
treatments, or drug rehab centers.

-Advertising networks could gather information about which topics someone is interested based on
their search history and use that to echance their customer databases.

-Government websites could see if a visitor has been searching for bomb-making instructions.

There is another use for this information of course and that is in the construction of intelligent
agents. I am building an autonomous spatial metadata harvesting tool at the moment and if knew
what keywords our researchers were actually looking for, rather than me just guessing, I could
return more specific results to them.
This is even more important when there are language (spoken not computer) barriers as well. Nice 1
Billy
[]'s
Ian

--
Ian Lawrence
Centre for Bioinformatics

| Please do not send me documents in a closed
| format.(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.html,*.txt)

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."