Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Ask for spam...

From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () eclipsed net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:34:42 -0400

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 09:41:08PM -0400, Peter Dawson wrote:
I think the point here is that you seed you email addy to these freebie
newsletters and then wait for the spammer to harverst the email addy's.
Propagation window shoud be about 10-15 days and then you can counter
anlaysis the source data within smtp

The problem is that you'll catch things that are actually email that
the user ostensibly requested, from the original source, no matter
what.

I find the vast majority of my spam shows up from web spiders
harvesting mailing list archives online that do not munge email
addresses and GNATs bug databases, which may be a better
clean-room way to put email addresses Out There.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr () eclipsed net