Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH brute force blocking tool

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:08:21 -0500

Tavis Ormandy wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:56:33AM -0500, J. Oquendo wrote:
Incorrect did you look at the fix? It isn't unsanitized as you state:

J, you have made an attempt to fix it, but is is not sufficient.

An attacker can still add arbitrary hosts to the deny list.

Thanks, Tavis.

Right... And as I stated on a different post... If an inexperienced admin allows that, it is on them. My attempt at making what I NEEDED and thought was helpful succeeded. If someone wants to nc insert arbitrary addresses, so be it. No different that someone spoofing random addresses at a firewall. What are you going to do, sift through every single address touching your network. Heck for what you just claimed "An attacker can still add arbitrary hosts to the deny list. ... it is not sufficient" ... TCP/IP is not sufficient with all of its issues. Give me a break

--
J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743