Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PGP & Truecrypt "A Nasty Security Bug"

From: Markus Jansson <seemyhomepage () katsokotisivuilta ni>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 22:55:20 +0300

From what I understod, this is really not any kind of bug. The issue is simple: If you have encrypted something the way PGP/Truecrypt does (that is, it creates encryption key and encrypts that with encryption key created from your passphrase), you can ofcourse do this.

How? Well, since you can always hold the original encryption key used. It doesnt matter how many times the passphrase is changed, since the original "master" encryption key remains the same. This is the basic issue here.

Lesson: Dont just change passphrases when re-using encrypted containers etc. but RECRYPT the container.

Point: Anything encrypted with PGP/Truecrypt is still secure if you have complex passphrase on it and dont let anyone else know what it is.

--
My computer security & privacy related homepage
http://www.markusjansson.net