Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Responsibility

From: "Greg" <full-disclosure3 () pchandyman com au>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:05:47 +1000

Large motel/hotel chain I recently acquired wants to sue previous company
who did their I.T. work for them as a customer's wifi connected machine
infected their network and caused loss of booking data thus money.

My question then is - if you have done the utmost to lock down your customer
but someone connects an infected machine and somehow it gets in, is the
customer right in suing you? Eg, like a car mechanic, you do the best but
you cannot be 100% sure that something else that was never a problem will
now cause a problem (such as a new exploit in our case that wasn't known
generally until 24 hours ago). Should you be sued at that point?

Wondering whether to dump the guy at this point.

Thanks.