Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP Home LSA secrets stores XP login passphrase in plain text

From: Markus Jansson <seemyhomepage () katsokotisivuilta ni>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 18:33:54 +0300

Heh, couple minor corrections to the original post:

 > Now, let me clear few things up, ok:
- Im not talking about bruteforcing NL/NTLM/NTLMv2/NT hashes.

Im ofcourse talking about LM/NTLM/NTLMv2/NT hashes.

- HOWEVER, if you can actually GET the users password (he is currently using) the way Im talking about now, you can do a lot of harm with that. You can, for example, decrypt all EFS encrypted files in normal situations (since users EFS privatekey is encrypted using users passphrase).

Ofcourse XP Home edition does not have EFS at all, but this attack/bug is also present in some XP Pro.

--
My computer security & privacy related homepage
http://www.markusjansson.net