Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Promiscious Device Detection

From: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter () hogyros de>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:15:22 +0100

Hi,

Q Beukes wrote:

I am looking for linux utility that checks if a specified machine's
network device is in promiscious mode or not.

Technically, promiscuous mode only affects packet reception, so it is pretty difficult to detect; however most packet sniffers will not hide the packets that would have been filtered normally from the kernel, so the kernel should react to e.g. a ping or SYN packet that has the correct destination IP address for that host, but would normally be filtered by the MAC (e.g. with a different destination MAC address).

I don't have a readymade utility for that (I'd code it if need arises, but the days of Cheapernet are gone), but you can test from the shell by creating a static ARP entry using the arp(8) tool and then pinging the IP.

   Simon