Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Java integer overflows (was: a really long topic)

From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:43:06 -0800 (PST)

Seems to me that such ranges are application specific and therefore
your problem, not the JVMs. You're describing a bug in your code, due
to failure to validate, not a bug in the JVM which behaves exactly (and
quite possibly provably) according to its specification.

--- Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net> wrote:

I'm not talking arbitrary code execution, I'm talking about odd code

paths, bizarre outcomes, and DoS.

For example (found via 19 Sins, Viega, Howard and LeBlanc):
http://seclists.org/lists/bugtraq/2004/Nov/0097.html

I know Michael reads webappsec, he may have more examples.

In my own code testing, I look for silly behaviors if a user can
insert a large or negative number. You'd be surprised how often it
occurs. There is no excuse not to include basic range checks when
performing data validation.

thanks,
Andrew