Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Critical PHP bug - act ASAP if you are running web with sensitive data

From: Tõnu Samuel <tonu () jes ee>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:51:18 +0300

Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

My point is, can you think of a logical reason why html_entity_decode would be run on user input? I'm sure some idiot is doing it (and therefore this is a security issue, though not exactly critical), but I don't think I can think of a reason why it would be done.

Why would you want to decode HTML entities given by a user? The opposite (encode their input into HTML entities) is the usual approach...

Ok, this "critical" is my fault. Seeing memory dump of other user data seems serious enough to me and I suspected it might affect different functions despite this one. Now when we know more, I agree that it is less critical than suspected by me. Still it is a problem and as subject told: "if you are running web with sensitive data". Malicious user can upload new script and see what others are doing. In most cases not so critical as I assumed but still bad enough and I really expect to see announcements for such problems faster and patches to come out (I mean RPM-s this time). Right now my systems are unprotected till I start to make packages myself or Novell is going to make one. Three weeks is too much. And what about PHP 4.x and 5.0 users?

   Tõnu