Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: EEYE: Temporary workaround for IE createTextRange vulnerab

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:05:44 -0500

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:18:24 CST, s89df987 s9f87s987f said:
Somebody has to make sure that *all* the bookmarks and configuration
settings
migrated correctly, and to help the users who have issues.
when firefox is first ran it will ask the user if they would like to import
bookmarks and settings from IE

And it's never in recorded history screwed up, or gotten some obscure
setting wrong? ;)

Remember - it doesn't take much to make the help desk phone ring.

Somebody has to handle all the odd support calls that converting to Firefox
will cause.
such calls could also occur while using the said patch or worse when a
system becomes compromised

Installing a patched IE will probably not result in many "How do I do XYZ
in this new PoS you stuck on my machine?" calls.  Moving them to Firefox will.

Somebody gets to retrain all the users who memorized things by rote.  If
'print'
moves from the 3rd entry on the second from the left menu to the 7th entry
on the leftmost menu, that will ruin their day.
you're overplaying that situation

Have you ever spent a full day or more doing first level end-user support? ;)

There *are* users that will freak out on that.

Hell, *I* kept opening Gimp by accident for a week after I reorganized some
menus - was very disconcerting the first time. ;)

I would say this is far less as serious than a BSOD and/or Remote Code
Execution
M$ took their time on the oversized img dim crash while Mozilla put out a
patch shortly of the discovery about the title bug

FF is a viable solution

I didn't say it wasn't viable.  I said it wasn't the totally free slam dunk
that "one word: Firefox" makes it out to be.

It's *not* a free upgrade, especially in a corporate environment.

(I didn't even *mention* the cost of beating the snot out of the web developers
who coded IE-specific extensions into a corporate webpage, did I?   It's
usually not the actual install cost that gets you, it's the ripple effect that
providing the support generates...)