Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 4 Questions: Latest IE vulnerability, Firefox vs IE security, User vs Admin risk profile, and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

From: "Brian Eaton" <eaton.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:04:01 -0500

On 3/27/06, Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz> wrote:
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Brian Eaton wrote:

I wasn't sure if Windows actually supported mandatory access controls,
so I poked around on Microsoft's web site a bit.  Yes, Windows
supports MAC.

MS Windows does not support MAC. Its future version (i.e. Vista) might
support some half-baked (*) pseudo-MAC.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not a windows expert by any mean, just going
by what I read on their web site. ;-)

In his original note, Dinis raised a good point: even a restricted
browser has access to all kinds of sensitive personal information,
such as passwords to web sites.  MAC would not prevent an exploit from
stealing that kind of data.

Nonsense. MAC was invented by soldiers and spooks to protect
confidentiality. (The use of MAC to protect integrity is, in fact, an
afterthought.)

Properly implemented and configured MAC can prevent the leakage of
confidential (i.e. sensitive personal) information to (unauthorized) web
sites.

You lost me here.  How would you design a MAC policy that lets firefox
remember my password for a web site, but doesn't let arbitrary code
running via a buffer overflow get at that same password?

Regards,
Brian