Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New IE sploit?

From: Stelian Ene <stelian.ene () gecadtech com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:25:45 +0300

Bart.Lansing () kohls com wrote:

This will handle the announced sploit...assuming you do snort, courtesy
of Bleeding-Snort:

http://www.bleedingsnort.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/sigs/EXPLOIT/EXPLOIT_IE_Vulnerabilities?view=markup

This will handle the specific variation used in that exploit, but blocking this
completely is outside the scope of snort and most content scanners.
I see that even text/plain mails talking about the bug are "cleaned" by major
AVs. This is especially brain-dead behavior since all advisories clearly say
email is not a vector.
Due to the nature of JS, there are almost endless variations. Off the top of my
head:
- getElementById is not necessary; for example, use getElementsByName
- checkbox/radio + createTextRange is not the only way of triggering the bug
- infinite obfuscation using eval()
- infinite obfuscation using document.write()