Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: help about tool to control x window client (xterm) script-like way

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:52:24 -0500

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:52:30 CST, Jianqiang Xin said:

In our research, we need to generate some X traffic through network. The
current approach is let human actor sit manipulate a "xterm" window to type
keys, move mouse, resize window. Is there any tool that can automatically do
this? The ideal one might trigger key press, button press, window change
event following a pre-defined script file. We have used Expect package to do
it for normal TELNET, SSH traffic. But Expect can not control X window
Client.

You're looking for something that uses the XTEST extension to the X protocol.

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/TestGroup will probably get you started.