Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall

From: Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:27:50 -0500

Bkfsec,
    Damn well put man! I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who
feels weary about this.

bkfsec wrote:
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Been there, done that already.  There was a phishing run a while ago,
the guys even had a functional SSL cert for www.mountain-america.net
(the
actual bank was mntamerica.net or something like that..)

Only real solution there is to get a good grip on what a CA is actually
certifying, which is a certain (usually very minimal) level of
*authentication*. They're certifying that somebody convinced them
that the cert
was for who they claimed it was for.  That's it.  Anybody who
attaches any
*other* meaning to it is making a big mistake.  In particular,
"authorization"
is totally out-of-scope here....

"You are now talking to the site that one of the CAs you trust thinks
belongs
to Frobozz, Inc.".

If you don't trust that CA's judgment, you better heave their root
cert overboard...

And even then, as your example points out, it's possible for the CA to
have "good judgment" and still not issue a certificate that is
labelled to who you or I might think it is.  Company naming is in the
venue of trademark law... it's not up to the CAs to choose names for
companies... I could start a company called "Microsoft Software LLC"
and as long as I wasn't lying through my teeth the CA would be within
their rights to issue the cert... the trick is that I'd probably not
win a trademark battle in the courts and that during the lagtime in
between, I'd probably be able to dupe quite a few people if I were so
inclined (and I'm not).

All verifying a cert proves is that the computer on the other end has
the matching cert and that the certificate authorities say that the
cert is still valid.  That's it.  Nothing else.

Frankly, the whole "web of trust" is a flawed idea.  "Because A trusts
B, and B trusts C, then A can (must?) trust C" is, excuse the lack of
civility, utter bullshit.
I trust my friends, it doesn't mean that I trust their friends.  In
this case, it's even more flawed because we're not talking about
trusting a friend of a friend... we're talking about trusting people
that our friends have met on the street... and that's it.

There's no better replacement for it at this moment, but the
assumptions made in it are flawed beyond their targetted application.

         -bkfsec

--
Regards,
        Jackass