Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: [funsec] Vishing (voice/phone phishing) - public incident

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:22:27 -0400

examples I saw were an automated system that accepted your credit card
number along with PIN.

asterisk maybe?

--
Harry Hoffman
Integrated Portable Solutions, LLC

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 6/23/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
Last year some of us made jokes about Vishing on funsec, today it's a
reality. Here is the incident going public:
http://www.websense.com/securitylabs/alerts/alert.php?AlertID=534

Special thanks to the good guys at Websense and the PIRT guys at
CastleCOPS PIRT.

I guess jokes about Vishing with a heavy Russian accent were good, too
bad
this wave file doesn't have that accent. :)

The attacked party is Santa Barbara Bank & Trust. I suppose the IRS will
also take interest in this.

Dang, I was thinking the msg would be "Please call our support hotline
at 1-900...."

Is someone really sitting at the phone waiting for customers to call
up, or is it an automated greeting that walks you through a "password
reset"?

-JP