Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing on 1GBps

From: Denis Jedig <seclists () syneticon de>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:12:55 +0200

crazy frog crazy frog wrote:

I m just wondering if it is possible to capture the data from a
highspeed NIC card?if it is possible then wht kind of precaution we
have to take so that we does not miss the data?

If you want to do this transparently without changing the system tapped, this is typically achieved with the use of dedicated probes which get hooked in between the system and e.g. the switch. The probes are typically equipped with buffer memory and have two output channels to be able to cope up with full duplex operation in real time. Google will help you to find manufacturers:
http://www.google.de/search?q=gigabit+ethernet+probe

There are some papers dealing with capturing and performance issues on the net, some of them published by members of the Winpcap team: http://www.winpcap.org/docs/iscc01-wpcap.pdf which share the basic idea that filtering should not be done within the application but either in the kernel or in the capturing device to reduce the number of copy operations and thus the load on the capturing system.

Denis