Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Strange Emails -- What are they?

From: Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:38:35 -0400

Ok,
    So I've done a bit more digging and I am seeing a lot more of these.
The sources are very different from each other. Some of them come from
china, some from europe, etc. The one thing that is really bugging me is
that none of these emails contain legitimate return paths.

Michael Holstein wrote:
Is this just another instance of spammers fishing for legit addresses?
If so, then why the hell are they sending email from invalid addresses?
I can dig into this a lot further if I need to, but I wanted to see if
anyone else had any ideas about it first.  Thanks in advance!!!

Yes (just spam -- address harvesting). There was some discussion about
this exact issue yesterday over on UNISOG :

http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/unisog/2006-June/

/mike.