Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting stack-overflows in Unicode/XPSP2 - Further questions

From: "ad () heapoverflow com" <ad () heapoverflow com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:25:50 +0200

because the offset referring to your pop pop ret is probably breaking the processus when the execution goes back to it. you might try the first easiest method wich is to grab several pop pop ret at different offset locations, and test then if the processus goes fine inside or is broke again. I bet you could find at least one wich will let you execute the shellcode fine right after.

Ivan Stroks wrote:
Hi list,

I am trying to exploit a stack overflow in an
application under Windows XP SP2.
The problem is that the content of the buffer I can
overflow is converted to Unicode, so I just can
control 2 of 4 bytes of the overwritten SEH handler
pointer.
I have read all papers related to Unicode shellcoding
(Venetian method, etc) and understand them fully.

My problem is that I am having some issues regarding
the way to bring execution back to my code, which is
the previous instance.

  Supposing I can find a pop,pop,ret (or equivalent)
"unicode addressable" and I am able to return to my
EXCEPTION_REGISTRATION structure, just before my SEH
handler. There, I should do a short JMP/CALL to jump
over this record, falling in my shellcode. The problem
is that, as this value is also encoded in Unicode, I
won't be able to specify a JMP/CALL instruction.
So...how will I land in my code? I am missing
something here?

Thanks,

IvaN!