Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98 rightnow

From: "Morning Wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:30:40 -0700

Windows 98 has no remote exploits, only client side attacks ( IE, OE, WMP and 3rd party apps ) ( try sticking a win98 box in a dmz or direct to the Internet... It wont get owned ). I dont think it is that huge of an issue that they are "abandoning" it's users.

The impending abandonment of support for Win98 has been comming for at least 2 years
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

As a matter of fact I have a Win98 box just for a game ( Descent2 on 3dfx !!! ) and my TV tuner.

Replace IE and OE with open source replacements, and the platform could be a low cost alternative that would also carry a fair degree of security for those that would like to deploy it.

One suggestion to Microsoft would be to make Win98 ( and Dos 6.2x ) available as a freeware OS since they will no longer be burdened by support, patches and etc anyway. Replace IE and OE with open source replacements, and the platform could be a low cost alternative that would also carry a fair degree of security for those that would like to deploy it.

They could even open up some source code that is not used by the currently supported OS's, that could bring a good deal of support and development by the community.

my2bits,
MW