Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Weird... www.eon8.com

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:22:06 -0400

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 05:38:06 CDT, daylasoul () hush com said:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:15:27 -0300, Cardoso said:
Yes, you may be right. What better place to hide than in plain
sight?

Using the old "nobody would do that", we^H^H they can publish
evil
instructions the operatives, and all the fools at NSA, GRU and
MI-6 will
never take us^H^H them seriously until it's too late.

The whole Steve Jackson Games thing was a set-up to make the TLAs
wary. ;)

Please keep discussions related to computer security.  As it is
stated in the list charter, "off-topic discussion should be taken
off-list wherever possible."

There's 3 possibilties here:

1) You have no idea what the SJG incident was *really* about - and it is,
in fact, itself a good cautionary tale about a total misread of an
organization's promo material, similar to much of the speculation regarding
eon8. Reading of the original story is recommended (Google is your friend).

2) Your security world doesn't include the possibility of an attacker throwing
such a site up as a sacrificial lamb, so that when a similar site goes
online for real, it flies under the radar "because it's just a copycat
of that OTHER site we got *sooo* embarassed by.."  Reading of Sun Tzu is
recommended.

3) You're just a self-important troll.  Reading of "Darwin Awards for Dummies"
is recommended.