Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ashnews Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability

From: Dan B UK <dan-fd () f-box org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:50:05 +0000

Hi zeus,

Did you even look at the source code for this script. If you had then you would see that in the case of register_global's being turned on there is a bigger issue to worry about; Remote/Local File Inclusion - Server side.

I have just managed to examine the source code on a few servers in under 10 minutes; from start to finish.

(I know that cookie stealing is an issue; and evil JavaScript can do a lot. But if you can alter the server files then there is an even greater issue!)

Due to the nature of the issue I am not disclosing the detail of it until the writer of the software has updated it; maybe you could have waited??

A vulnerability that allows privileges of the apache user within the limitations of how much PHP has been locked down.

Cheers,
Dan.