Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ZoneAlarm phones home

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:41:39 -0000

Ivan . wrote:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

  Sadly lacking in any details whatsoever, that article.

  I have once in the past noticed ZA doing a check-for-updates despite
having configured it off, so I know there is at the very least a bug there,
but I have no reason to suppose that was anything other than a bug; if it
was a surreptitious backdoor or spyware, it would be bloody stupid to pop up
the "There is an update available, do you want to download it?" dialog, but
that's what it did.

  Without seeing the content of these packets, I don't see how Cringely can
claim to know whether there's anything spyware or not about it.  There is no
*evidence* for his claim.  I'm always suspicious of people who claim to have
observed 'spyware phoning home' but who are then completely unable to give
any details about the contents or destination of the packets, since it means
that they are claiming something that they don't actually know at all.

  See also

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29254

    cheers,
      DaveK