Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Personal firewalls.

From: Eliah Kagan <degeneracypressure () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:52:37 -0500

However I do wish it had the feature that Sygate PRO has, which will
blackhole a IP if it detects a ports scan coming to it. it then blocks all
activity from the offending IP for approximately 10 minutes.

Well, it's a feature if the probes are really coming from the computer
Sygate PRO thinks they're coming from.

Suppose X is running Sygate PRO and Y is a legitimate client
connecting to a server running on X. Then Z comes along and sends a
bunch of SYN packets to X, spoofed to have the source IP of Y, waits
10 minutes, and repeats ad infinitum. Now Y can never connect to X.
This seems more like a DoS vulnerability than a feature to me. Am I
missing something?

-Eliah