Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Undeletable user account.

From: Jeremy Bishop <requiem () praetor org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:28:59 -0800

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 13:54, James Bower wrote:
Hi all, one of my servers has recently been compromised.  No suprise
but the hacker created himself a user account.  The problem is that I
can't seem to delete the account.  The account is not part of any

To be entirely snippy, the problem isn't the undeletable account.  That
falls into the "amusing puzzle" category.  The problem is that you are
attempting to clean up the machine instead of rebuilding from
known-good media.

I'm sure you have a very good reason for doing this, and I'm just making
the assumption that the Windows culture has less awareness that this is
generally a Bad Idea.

As for the user account, I suspect that it can be deleted in much the
same way one would go about deleting the local administrator account.
Have a link: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/7/4/7570/05276

Jeremy

--
The Write Many, Read Never drive.  For those people that don't know
their system has a /dev/null already.