Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Open Letter on the Interpretation of "Vulnerability Statistics"

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:13:06 +0100

* Georgi Guninski:

RVI sources collect unstructured vulnerability information from Raw
Sources.

read: parasites cut and paste from people who can do things.

A service which assigns a primary key shared by multiple databases is
quite helpful.  Of course, you can dismiss this whole vulnerability
tracking/patching thing as completely pointless, and I wouldn't even
disagree with you. 8-)

- LACK OF COMPLETE CROSS-REFERENCING BETWEEN RVI SOURCES.

read: coley does not like it that there is no officially recognized
usa funded database (NOT a dictionary) to rule em all and manipulate
statistics.

Uhm, CVE itself adds cross-references to other databases, even to a
non-US one, so I don't think this is a valid criticism.

Unlike PKI or DNS, vulnerability naming does not need to be universal
to be useful.  It does not suffer from the Highlander problem.