Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Question about Mac OS X 10.4 Security

From: "Mike Owen" <kyphros () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:40:22 -0800

On 2/28/06, Stef <stefmit () gmail com> wrote:
On 2/28/06, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
Still, the ignorance of Mac users, who believe their platform is somehow
magically "secure" will contribute to the problem.

<snip>
I am sorry, Paul, but I have to take you up on this, especially with
your tendency of generalizing everything. I have used *nix in the
<snip>
... so the Mac users are not [only] the bunch of idiots/ignorants whom
you tend to describe - I would just invite you to attend a blackhat or
shmoocon, or even SANS or Cisco networkers, and let me know how many
Mac users you can count there ... and then ask yourself why ... but
then, again, I may be wrong ;>

Stef

Stef,

You're describing your own experiences, and those of other security
professionals. What Paul is describing is the normal user. I agree
with him that the normal user thinks that because they have a Mac,
they are suddenly immune to everything. As an example, a good friend
of mine has been using an iBook and an iMac for several years, and
likes to talk about how she doesn't have to deal with all the viruses
and problems that her Windows using friends have. When I asked, she
had never done a single update on her computers, because she didn't
think she needed to. I've since convinced her to check for updates on
a weekly basis, which while not perfect, has at least kept her
patched.

Mike