Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compromised host list - some clarification...

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:32:56 -0700

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:03:56 +0000
"Robert P. McKenzie" <rmckenzi () rpmdp com> wrote:

James Lay wrote:
So ok.....I'm completely positive I didn't make myself clear at all
in my previous message...go me!  Here's a web site that I did
manage to find that has a current list of open proxies:

http://www.samair.ru/proxy/index.htm

My hope is that I could find a site that has a list of currently
reported open proxies, scanners, and ssh brute force boxes.  The
RBL's pretty much have smtp covered.  I would run a cron job at
midnight, wget and grep the file, then create an iptables table to
block those hosts. This is an attempt to be more proactive then
reactive...if I knew those hosts that were actively doing naughty
things, why not block them at the get go?

Does this make sense?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Thanks all
=)

It's clear, however, as others have pointed out it's far easier to
block everything and then selectivily allow what you want to talk to
you.  How do you think iptables will react if you have say 20,000
entries in it?  My guess is it will slow your machines down.

Go the sensible route and block everything and permit the much
smaller list of hosts to connect to you.

Robert,

I do understand this, however this would not fit well for services that
are for public use..IE web or email I could not simply just deny
everyone.  But for ports that I do NOT want the public to see you
bet...block all is the way to go.  Thank you!

James