Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [OOT] Thesis for master degree

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:50:26 -0500

Hello everyone, sorry for wasting your bandwidth

You couldn't be any worse than than the kiddies...

I'm currently trying to find an interesting topic in computer networking
security for my master degree thesis, I've read a lot of jurnal that related
with computer networking and security. All journal seem to advanced for me,
sometimes the journal has mathematical formula that I don't understand what
is the point for. Maybe someone here willing to help me? an idea? or another
journal website?

I recently finished up an MS thesis in security.  When I was trying to
narrow down a topic, I was told that the final paper should have at
least one *original* idea.  Generally this idea is something somewhat
mathematical, and something you can apply to the problem at hand.  It
may also be an original application of established mathematical
principles to a problem of interest.  Some of the suggestions of other
posters are highly specialized to a here-today-gone-tomorrow topic... if
you focus on one of those, you'll have a much harder time coming up with
a good original idea that your advisors will be happy with.

My advice is to try and find a big problem in security that is long from
being solved, and try to bite off a small piece of it.  Find out what
others have done to try and solve the problem, figure out why those
approaches are insufficient due to complexity/cost/etc, and try to
improve on it with a novel technique.

good luck,
tim