Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Linksys WIP 330 VoIP wireless phone crash from Nmap scan

From: "Shawn Merdinger" <shawnmer () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:09:51 -0800

Hi,

Yup, if one has the phone and cares to give free vendor QA that's a
tactic to consider.  As you know, determining the *exact* cause of the
crash can be a tricky thing.  For instance, the Milw0rm SYN flood
exploit that targeted port 80 on the Cisco 7940 seemed to hose the web
server, which then then crashed the phone -- but it was actually a
lower-level stack issue.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-response-20060113-ip-phones.shtml

Also, since we're talking about a VoIP device here, getting into some
of the more opensource VOIP-specific tools available can also be
tricky determining the root-cause, especially from different manners
of tool runs and packet sequences.  For example, from the the Asteroid
SIP DoS tool README at
http://infiltrated.net/asteroid/asteroidv1.tar.gz

<snip>

Anyhow, I have found that by sending a certain sequence of these
packets, in a certain order, servers react differently. Sometimes it
will crash faster, sometimes more extensions are subscribe, etc, etc.
I will not post any sequencing until vendors have patched their
programs against this lame attack but, I will release the packet
samples I've been working with.

</snip>

Thanks,
--scm