Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: ICMP Destination Unreachable Port Unreachable

From: Scott Renna <srenna () lcssecuritygroup com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:33:10 -0400

common mistake

On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Darren Bounds wrote:

I'm confused about a couple things:

1) You say you knew the nature of the packet yet in your original message you stated "Neither the source IP or the target IP have any ports associated with them in this event. Any ideas would be appreciated.".

- The packet you dumped was an ICMP port unreachable. There will never be a port associated with an ICMP packet. - ICMP unreachable messages contain a payload with the IP header of the packet generating the error and at least 64 bits (8 bytes) of original data datagram. There are ports associated with UDP and therefore inspection of the embedded UDP packet tells you quite a bit. i.e. It was using ports 16229 and 2597 as source and destination.

2) You * out the first 3 octets of the destination IP address in the event but leave the IP address in the ICMP payload (70.91.131.49). Why?

--

Thanks,
Darren Bounds