Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Should I Be Worried?

From: "CrYpTiC MauleR" <crypticmauler () linuxmail org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:30:02 -0500

After reading http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11389 it made me think twice about actually going public with my
school's security hole by having school notify students, parents and/or faculty at risk due to it.

I mean I didnt access any records, just knew that it was possible for someone to access my account or anyone elses. I
did not even exploit the hole to steal, modify etc any records. Does this still put me in the same boat at the USC guy?
If so I am really not wanting to butt heads with the school in case they try to turn around and bite the hand that
tried to help them. Even if my intentions were good, they might even make something up saying I accessed entire
database or something. I have nothing to prove me otherwise since they have access to the logs. Already it seems like
the school is trying to sweep the incident under the rug, so very wary as to what they might do if they were pushed
into a corner and forced to go public. Anyone has any idea what I can do or should I just let this slide? I am already
putting my credit report and such on fraud alert just in case, and definelty do not plan on attending this school after
my degree or school year is over. A transfer is better than having me risk my data.

Regards,
CM