Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: LOOKING VPN TRAFIIC MONITRING SOFTWARE

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:59:51 -0400

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 03:05:40 -0000, adnan habib said:

I am just looking for some software that i can monitor the traffic for VPN
sessions or traffic,, I prefer if this software is free to download or some
one can send me this software!!!

What exactly were you trying to measure/monitor?  Keep in mind that unless
the software is co-located with one or the other endpoint of the VPN, the only
thing you can see is that there's a connection, and it's carrying XYZ bytes
of traffic.  (Obviously, if *you* were able to monitor the traffic content
itself at a midpoint, so could an evildoer - which would mean the VPN was
worthless...)