Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotaged hosts-file lookup

From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen () stupendous org>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:20:26 +0200

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:00:23PM +0200, Vidar L?kken wrote:

So, the exception is not that the IP is hard-coded, but that the DNS
resolver skips looking in hosts for that _domain_ and necessarily does a
network DNS lookup...
Unless the DNS server is itself hardcoded in MediaPlayer, as well?
My guess is that it uses a default dns server from microsoft at a stable
IP.

Why guess when it takes all of 30 seconds to *see* what happens?

I tried (using go.microsoft.com), and saw that it uses the same DNS server
as the one being used for all other queries.
--
Jurjen Oskam

Savage's Law of Expediency:
        You want it bad, you'll get it bad.