Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RSA HAVE CRACKED PHISHING, NO SERIOUSLY

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:06:59 +1200

Nancy Kramer wrote:

While I have no idea if what RSA is doing works or not but I have noticed
the absence of  phishing emails in my in box in the last few days.  I used
to get maybe half a dozen or more a day since I don't run spam filters. Not
a one in the last two days.  The Ebay and Paypal emails seemed to stop
first.  Now even the ones for banks I have never heard of are no longer
coming in.

There must be a reason for this.  ...

Why must there be?

Maybe it's just near one of the far edges of the normal distribution of
phishing Email your address sees?

Personally, I've seen about what I consider the usual amount of
phishing over the last few weeks.  A couple of months back I hardly got
a single phish in about 3-4 days and started to wonder what was going
on, but most of my professional acquaintances assured me their
organizations' mail servers were seeing the usual phlow of phish...

...  Maybe the phishers decided to take a
vacation.

Maybe, but their bots don't need a break, so guess what??  8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald